Thursday, May 22, 2008

Why I like: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

It's a bad-a movie for almost two hours. Mutt Williams is great, Miriam Ravenwood makes me happy, and the storyline is "WTF mate??" interesting.

Then, in one of the worst endings of all time (the Hindenburg comes to mind, for comparison), George Lucas exerts his Executive Producer might.

"I'm George Lucas, Suckaaaaaaaaaaas! I do whats I want!" he declared (in an incredibly African-Americanized manner). Then he proceeded to drive the film into the ground. It only took six minutes and one CGI sequence, but seriously. Your soul will feel violated that you just watched such an incredible movie, only to see it dashed hopelessly on the rocks. Kinda like if Odysseus made it past the sirens, Scylla and Charbydis, and everything else, then hit some rocks off the coast of his hometown and his ship sank and his entire crew died. He still swims home, but geez. What a crappy ending.

I have a feeling this weekend is going to be off the chartzorz for Indy 4. Next weekend there we be like 3 dollars taken in. It's just not a film I'm going to go see again. If the ending were different, I'd see it like eight times. But you seriously feel cheated.

funny mental image I'm left with: George Lucas with a fro in Harlem.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen it yet; I intend to, but I haven't decided whether or not I want to see it in theaters or on DVD. I have a feeling I can wait.

I rode my bike four miles yesterday, and I swear, it's not possible for me to be this out of shape. I want a refund on this body.

Patricia said...

I think I'll wait until it goes to the dollar theater and then go on 50 cent tuesday- thanks for saving me a few bucks :)

Kasey said...

I beg to differ. Saw it Sunday and thought it was quite fun -other than the obvious rip off of National Treasure Book of Secrets. Feel bad for IJ if they wrote their script first, because it sure felt like deja vu all over again.