Thursday, June 5, 2008

Why I like: Index Cards

I'm a planner. I plan out everything, including conversations I'm going to have. Especially conversations that I'm going to have that are going to be uncomfortable or painful for me. I think out the points that I'm going to say, then list them in my head. Then I repeat that list several times, or many times, depending on how far away the conversation is.

The only problem with this is that I forget to incorporate the fact that people respond to my words into the script. Once I say one thing, the other person responds, and then we go off on that sentence or topic.

I then forget the rest of my points. I basically need index cards to have effective conversations. If I had all my points written on an index card, I could totally just look down and make sure I had said everything. It might tip some people off though; if I'm confronting someone in love, coming with index card in hand might make them a bit apprehensive.

For example: apologizing. Simple task, right? Should be easy?

To me, there are five parts to an apology:

1. Hey, I want to apologize.
2. I was wrong when I did (that thing).
3. I'm sorry that I did (that thing), because it hurt you. I don't want to hurt people.
4. (That thing) won't happen again.
5. Will you forgive me?

Even knowing that, I go into conversations and totally lose track of all my points. I usually get one or two out. Then I leave, feel unfinished, and want to go back to make more points. Kind of a closure thing.

I should just always bring an index card. Kinda like the towel from Hitchhiker's Guide, I guess. Only not as humorous.

No comments: