Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Why I like: Isaiah

I am surprised that God likes people. As a lot, we're a pretty unimpressive bunch. We doubt a lot. We try to get out of hard things. We generally don't do very well at the things we are called to do because we are distracted a lot of the time.

Even the great followers of God were pretty bad at the whole thing. Moses tries every excuse in the book to get out of being a leader (he goes on to be the greatest leader of Israel ever, in case you hadn't heard). Gideon asks for THREE supernatural signs before he'll agree to do what God asks (he goes on to be one of the greatest Judges of Israel ever, in case you don't know the ending). Jeremiah says he's young (he lives a life of dedication to God). Even the great prophet Elijah, whom people confused Jesus for, told God that he was exhausted and sick of the ministry. The same man who was one of two men to never die, one of two men to appear with Jesus at the Transfiguration, says to Almighty God: "I have had enough, LORD," he said. "Take my life; I am no better than my ancestors." (I Kings 19:4)

I think I am justified when I say we are pretty terrible at this following thing. I haven't even discussed the colossal failures of Samson, Jepththah, Jacob and more. Even Peter denied Christ three times publicly. He went on to lead the entire church.

Yet, there are some who just get it. Isaiah is one of them.

Granted, Isaiah also gets to be in the throne room of God while he is being called. But still - he sees God, hears the call of "Who will go for us?" and he says "ME! I'm going!" He doesn't even ponder.

He does, however, wonder how long it will take, and God tells him, in no uncertain terms, that it will be a very long time, possibly forever. Also, he will be rejected and denied for all of his life.

What does Isaiah do? Goes and does it.

That's incredible. He knows he will be rejected, but he goes anyway, because it is what God has called him to do.

I want that kind of faith. I know it is something that grows, and I know it's a painful process. I know. But I'm past the point where I'm preserving myself from pain for the mere fact that it's my life and I don't want pain. I want to know God and trust him. That is where the real stuff is at.

And I know I'm just setting myself up for rough times. But God will bring me through. I am confident of that. I'm still here, aren't I?

2 comments:

Chris Krycho said...

Yeah! I love this post; and I like Isaiah for a lot of the same reasons.

You want another one that's just as crazy, same sort of attitude towards God? Hosea. First thing God says: "Go marry a wife of whoredom." Hosea's response: "So I went and..." Crazy. Would that we had such hearts!

Anonymous said...

i love hosea, too. i think the modern church would do well to read chapter four....