Thursday, June 12, 2008

Why I like: Reasons

When people do bad things, other people immediately want to know why they did it. Policemen search out the motives of the crime. In less severe circumstances, the phrase "Why would you do that?" is common. It's just a natural thing - when you do something out of line with the way things should be, the reason begs to be known.

It's much more difficult to get someone to say "Why would you do that?" over something good. The reasons behind good things are just not as interesting as the reasons behind bad things. I am well aware that I do many of the things I do for reasons other than people think. I treat certain people certain ways because it will make life easier for them (or me, or both). I work to please those in authority, but also to avoid being in trouble. I write what a professor wants to hear so I can get the grade I want. I am doing good things - but I don't always do them for the purpose of being good. And no one asks, because as long as good happens for people, they are not inquisitive as to why (most of the time).

But to God, the reasons behind good things are more important than the reasons behind bad things. He already knows why I do bad things - my sin nature compels me (before I met Jesus) or entices me (after I met Jesus). It's simple.

But God wants me to do good because I love him. He doesn't want me to do good so that I get the things he has promised. He is not fooled by that trick. That is hard for me. I assume that since I am reading the Bible, doing what it says, and persevering that I should get what I want. That whole Psalm 37:4 thing? ("Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart") It doesn't read "Do stuff in the name of the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart." Jesus harshly dismissed the idea that you could merely do things in the name of Jesus and get rewarded for it in Matthew 7:

22Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' 23Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!' (thanks, Biblegateway.com)

I am overwhelmed. The only thing that matters is how our spirit relates to God. Everything else will fall into line after that. I can't believe how incredibly simple it sounds compared to how incredibly complicated it is. My spirit is who I am. Changing who I am is really what I just said was necessary. And it is necessary. But when you think about the practical outworkings of changing who you are, it's mindboggling. Changing what you do with your time. Changing what you say when you're with people. Changing what you watch. Changing what you listen to. Changing what you read. Changing what you think. Changing.

In short, the reasons matter. I don't know how to change the reasons I do things. They've been pretty set for a while. I want to love Jesus, really love him - but I don't know how. I know you have to take it a step at a time, but that first step is confusing.

I just took it, though. I think.

No comments: